Creation is the doctrine which undergirds all other doctrines. It tells us about God, and what the word "God" means, at least in part. We know nothing about God if we know nothing about creation. If we know about creation, and believe, we can understand our basic relationship to God, who He is and what claim He has on our lives and how we live them. It is this understanding that gives us a sense of natural order in our lives, gives us the knowledge of a greater purpose in our lives and gives us meaning or value to our very being.
(By Walter Lang, executive director of the Bible-Science Association. This is a condensation of the essay delivered at the Creation Seminar at Lucerne, California, August 7-12, 1967, and at Biola College, La Mirada, California, September 9, 1967)
(This is a condensed version of an essay submitted by Alfred
In our time many people believe that the creation account is a myth and they deny what the Bible says regarding the flood of Noah. No wisdom of man or scientific knowledge can solve the mystery of creation; only God can tell us in His book, the Bible.
To understand the tragedy of the Flood, we must answer the question, "Are the masses of water now on earth in the same places as when God created the earth?" Land masses now comprise only 21 percent to 22 percent of the earth's surface while the remaining 78 or 79 percent is water. According to the Bible it has not always been so.
Copyright ? 1972 Bible Science Newsletter. Creation Moments, Inc. PO Box 839 Foley, MN 56329 800-422-4253 www.creationmoments.com
Three former staunch evolutionists have recently publicly challenged the basic foundations of evolution theory. Astronomers Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe and palenotologist Colin Patterson have put the scientific world into a spin by renouncing essential tenets of the very theory on which they had built their careers without accepting the creation alternative.
Photo: Francis Crick. Courtesy of Marc Lieberman. (CC-BY-SA 2.5)
Richard Niessen, Bernard Northrup and David Watson
Is the Gap Theory a Biblical Option?
by Richard Niessen
The Gap Theory Scenario
Thomas Chalmers, The Works of Thomas Chalmers On Natural Theology (Giasgow: Wm. Collins & Co., n.d.).
Bernard Ramm, The Christian View of Science and Scripture, (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1954), pp. 195 ff. Arthur Custance, Without Form and Void, (Brockville, Canada: Doorway Publishers, 1970).
See the author's "Significant Discrepancies Between Theistic Evolution and the Bible" in the Creation Research Society Quarterly, (March 1980), and "Theistic Evolution and the Day-Age Theory," ICR Impact No. 81 (March 1980).
John C. Whitcomb, Jr. and Henry M. Morris, The Genesis Flood (San Diego: Creation-Life Publishers, 1961).
Harold Slusher, The Age of the Cosmos (Creation-Life Publishers, 1980); Henry Morris, Scientific Creationism (Creation-Life Publishers, 1974), pp. 131-169.
This 98% ratio apparently holds true for the entire Old Testament. Out of 4,900 occurrences, only 64 could be translated as "became" and the rest are translated as "was." Robert E. Kofahl and Kelly L. Segraves, The Creation Explanation (Wheaton, IL: Harold Shaw Publishers, 1975), p. 232.
Weston W. Fields, Unformed and Unfilled (Nutley, New Jersey: Presbyterian and Reformed, 1976). This is the most scholarly and refutation of the Gap Theory currently available.
John C. Whitcomb, The Early Earth (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1972), p.129
This is also a serious objection to the Day-Age Theory.
10. The Bible states that the sun, moon, and stars were not created until the fourth day - three days after the formation of the earth (Gen. 1:14-19). In an attempt to retain the essentially evolutionary cosmology of the sun and stars before the earth, Scofield claims that the sun and moon were created in the beginning. The light of Gen. 1:3-4 came from the sun, but a heavy cloud cover obscured the sky for the first three days (Scofield Reference Bible, p. 3). This interpretation is clearly forced and is against the obvious sense of Gen. 1:14-11) that the heavenly bodies were not in existence until that time. For a discussion of the problem of light before the sun, see the author's article "Biblical Indications of a Rotating Earth," Bible-Science Newsletter (December 1980), pp. 1-3.
There is a disagreement over whether the waters peaked at the 40th or at the 150th day.
For a detailed breakdown of the various stages in the Flood scenario, see Whitcomb and Morris, The Genesis Flood, p. 3.
Arthur C. Custance, Without Form and Void (Brockville, Canada: Doorway Publishers, 1970); The Flood: Local or Global? (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1979); Bernard Ramm, The Christian View of Science and Scripture (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1954, pp. 229-249).
Richard Dawkins, the world's most famous out-of-the-closet living atheist and evolutionary biologist, said in an interview with Salon Magazine: "For a long time it seemed clear to just about everybody that the beauty and elegance of the world seemed to be prima facie evidence for a divine creator. "
Note: Creation Moments exists to provide Biblically sound materials to the Church in the area of Bible and science relationships. This Bible study may be reproduced for group use.
How do you witness to someone about Christ? Especially if that person is well educated and really committed to evolution? Your first response is "I believe in creation but I cannot argue science with this person."
1. Public school textbooks on Biology, Earth sciences, and Human society generally well-present the facts; it is the interpretation of those facts that is currently under fire and of concern. Without exception, the interpretation is from the evolutionary perspective and serves to colour the very words that are used in the text. Textbooks on Human anthropology are notoriously bad in this respect.
Illustration: Though the appendix is now known to play an essential part in the immune system, evolutionists persist in calling it a vestigial organ.
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St., Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
Darwinism was originally found so acceptable by so many because it provided the mechanism for evolution, so men could understand all that exists as not needing a Creator. Today, however, Darwinism is all but dead, killed by the lack of positive evidence, and by the growth of human knowledge in dozens of areas. Still, evolutionism persists. Evolution is called a "fact" even if we can see no way it could have happened. This irrational position seems surprising until one realizes that evolutionism was prophesied.
Remember the early science-fiction movies? They always had a moral to the story. Usually one of the main characters would recite it in the closing in moments of the film. The moral always went something like, "There are certain areas where man is not meant to meddle."
The subject of dinosaurs captures the fancy of every school kid. They are told that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, long before any human walked upon the earth. In this way, many children are introduced to the doctrine of evolution.
1. The discovery of the colored peoples by the Caucasian Christian West in the 16th century caused some to doubt that the Genesis Flood had been universal since the only family on the Ark were surely Caucasion! Later, at the time of the Industrial Revolution and during the search for coal and minerals, it was realized that rocks appeared in layers or stratum, each of different composition from those layers above and below.
Speaking of magnetic fields, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and "geoengineering" brings us to an interesting ongoing topic of creationist endeavors--describing conditions of the world before it was radically changed by the flood of Noah.
The earth has survived some very catastrophic change, and even evolutionists admit that at different times in earth's history climate conditions were quite different from what they are today.
1. NASA Tech Briefs, "Superconductivity at Your Fingertips," Vol. 12, No.4, April 1988.
2. Morris, J.D., The Young Earth, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1994.
The Bible clearly teaches Creation. Only those who desire to distort and destroy the Scriptures would say otherwise. Many wonder why there is a question for any Christian whether to believe evolution or creation. They often ask the question in the title of this Bible study, "Can a Christian be an evolutionist" Unless we are willing to usurp God's position and become the Judge of Man, we must acknowledge that there are professing Christians who also believe the myth of evolution.
People find many different reasons for opposing creationism. Some are simply ignorant of the scientific and Biblical points that support the creationist worldview. Very often people really believe that evolution has been proven as fact.