Darwinism was originally found so acceptable by so many because it provided the mechanism for evolution, so men could understand all that exists as not needing a Creator. Today, however, Darwinism is all but dead, killed by the lack of positive evidence, and by the growth of human knowledge in dozens of areas. Still, evolutionism persists. Evolution is called a "fact" even if we can see no way it could have happened. This irrational position seems surprising until one realizes that evolutionism was prophesied.
Remember the early science-fiction movies? They always had a moral to the story. Usually one of the main characters would recite it in the closing in moments of the film. The moral always went something like, "There are certain areas where man is not meant to meddle."
The subject of dinosaurs captures the fancy of every school kid. They are told that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, long before any human walked upon the earth. In this way, many children are introduced to the doctrine of evolution.
The King James translation speaks of there being "giants in the land" in the pre-Flood and immediate post-Flood world (Genesis 6:4 and Joshua 12:13). Medieval churches often had fossil bones on display, purporting to be part of some ancient giant and, in this way, sustain belief among their congregation.
Ref: Bonderson, Jan. 1997. A Cabinet of Medical Curbside, NY.: Cornell University Press.
1. The discovery of the colored peoples by the Caucasian Christian West in the 16th century caused some to doubt that the Genesis Flood had been universal since the only family on the Ark were surely Caucasion! Later, at the time of the Industrial Revolution and during the search for coal and minerals, it was realized that rocks appeared in layers or stratum, each of different composition from those layers above and below.
1. Historically, the western mind has, until the beginning of the nineteenth century, considered the earth to be only a few thousand years old and this was based upon the Biblical account and the ensuing genealogies given into historical times. Following European and Elizabethan exploration, questions of race were raised and doubts cast upon the universality of the Genesis Flood.
A preserved coelacanth at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco. Courtesy of BrokenSphere. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St., Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
Textbooks often depict our "evolutionary ancestors" as brutish, savage apemen who dwelled in caves. Every couple of years the scientific world is excited by the discovery of fossil remains of a supposed ancestor of man. Each new discovery is, in its turn, debunked: proven to be modern man or some form of ape. But the public impression of the "caveman" as man's ancestor remains, unshaken by the discrediting of the supposed proofs.
1. What can the creationist make of these cavemen?
Is it possible to describe them in some other way than as the evolutionary precursor to man?
Speaking of magnetic fields, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and "geoengineering" brings us to an interesting ongoing topic of creationist endeavors--describing conditions of the world before it was radically changed by the flood of Noah.
The earth has survived some very catastrophic change, and even evolutionists admit that at different times in earth's history climate conditions were quite different from what they are today.
1. NASA Tech Briefs, "Superconductivity at Your Fingertips," Vol. 12, No.4, April 1988.
2. Morris, J.D., The Young Earth, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1994.
Evolution, whether theistic or atheistic, requires the principles by which we have come into existence to be within ourselves. While the atheist believes that we can be explained on completely materialistic principles, the theistic evolutionist adds God at points in the process that don't seem explainable by strictly materialistic means. But the theistic evolutionist still leaves the initial evolution of the ape-like creature from which we supposedly came to internal material principles.
The Bible clearly teaches Creation. Only those who desire to distort and destroy the Scriptures would say otherwise. Many wonder why there is a question for any Christian whether to believe evolution or creation. They often ask the question in the title of this Bible study, "Can a Christian be an evolutionist" Unless we are willing to usurp God's position and become the Judge of Man, we must acknowledge that there are professing Christians who also believe the myth of evolution.
People find many different reasons for opposing creationism. Some are simply ignorant of the scientific and Biblical points that support the creationist worldview. Very often people really believe that evolution has been proven as fact.
(With acknowledgement to Dr. Walt Brown, Center for Scientific Creation)
1. It is an established scientific fact that life cannot originate from non-living matter (the Law of Biogenesis).
2. The chemical evolution of life is impossible. No scientist has ever advanced a testable procedure by which this could occur. The Miller-Urey experiment, still shown in many current textbooks, has been proven to be irrelevant.
In the 1920′s J. Harland Bretz, a secular geolgoist proposed to his
colleagues evidence for a massive Flood across eastern Washington. He
was rejected by the scientific community because what was proposing was