And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth."
How did Noah have sons and build the Ark when he was 500 years old? Today, scientists can measure a marked decline in mental abilities even in a healthy 50 year old man. Undoubtedly there are several...
The broad definition of religion has been given as a system of beliefs held to by ardor and faith, and this would apply as much to the atheist as it would to the most pious saint. Both believe in something that can neither be proved nor disproved. The majority position acknowledges belief in a Higher Being and in survival of consciousness after death. To these are often added the beliefs in punishment and rewards for deeds done in life, and in a personal resurrection at some future date. In contrast, the atheist fervently believes that there is no god and no afterlife.
Ackerman, Robert. 1987. J.G. Frazer: His Life and Work. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Frazer, James G. 1890. 1900. 1911-15. The Golden Bough. London: Macmillan. 2, 3 and 12 vols.
Kuper, Adam. 1988. The Invention of Primitive Society. London: Routledge.
Lang, Andrew. 1901. Magic and Religion. London: Longmans.
Lubbock, John. 1865. Prehistoric Times. London: Williams and Norgate.
Background. Taking the first chapter of the Book of Genesis as our starting point we find that the heavens were created first then the earth on the first day [v.1] while the sun, moon and stars were created on the fourth day [v. 14-19]. The sun and moon are described as “two great lights” [v. 16] while their given purpose is to, “divide the day from the night” and to be for, “signs and seasons, for days and years” [v. 14]. Finally, God saw everything He had made and declared it to be “very good” [v. 31].
Many Christians wonder how the fact that God is the Creator and preserver of His creation fits in with the extinctions of so many creatures. In fact, it was this problem that made it seem as though proof of extinctions in the past was proof of evolution.
From a strictly human standpoint, the claim that the earth is young is just so much double-talk. But the question of whether the earth is billions of years old, or just a couple of thousands of years old, occupies a central place in the creation/evolution debate. For some, it is the question of whether there was time for the impossible to happen - life to arise from non-life. In the mind of the Biblical Christian, however, it is not a question of defeating evolution but of what is true, what does the Bible say?
1. The name Genesis that we apply to the first book of the Bible has been adopted from the Greek word GENESIS meaning "beginnings." The Jews call this book BERESHITH which is the first Hebrew word of this book and means "In beginning." Genesis 1:1, In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. There is a logical order here: Beginning (time), heavens (space) and earth (matter). The Big Bang Theory has reversed this order. Note that "the heavens" is plural.
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St., Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
1. The claim is often made that the Genesis account of creation lies in the realm of religion whereas the theory of evolution is a matter of science. It should be stressed that for any endeavor to be classified as "science" it must be observable, repeatable, refutable and, preferably by developed formula, capable of making a prediction. Both creation and evolution fail all criteria.
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St. Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
Just how does the modern geologist tell the age of a rock by simply looking at it? For that matter, where do all those millions of years come from and how can they be reconciled with Genesis? Until the 17th century most people of Europe and Britain believed the biblical account of creation and a global Flood.
1. In the Middle Ages referring to a person as a "humanist" meant that their interests were in Greek and Roman literature and antiquities. Humanism today means a worldview concerned with human, not divine, interests. Ultimately, the humanist objective is to make Man the master of his own destiny. The Genesis Flood destroyed all those having a humanist worldview leaving only Noah and his family to begin the post-Flood generation. Within a short time, the humanist worldview again became dominant and we find this in the account of the Tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-4).
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St., Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
It's no surprise that the history taught in our schools is a rather dull subject. Virtually all events in history, particularly European history, were motivated by religious causes: Muslims massacred Christians, Catholics slaughtered Protestants, Protestants killed Catholics, and all parties persecuted Jews. In the 1800s schools were run by religious authorities, and children attended the school of their parents' faith.
Boorstin, Daniel. 1983. The Discoverers. New York: Random House.
Draper, John W. 1874. History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science. New York: Appleton.
Irving, Washington. 1829. The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus. New York: J.J. Harper. The entire presentation of the confrontation between Columbus and the church authorities at Salamanca was a product of Irving's imagination!
Morrison, Samuel Eliot. 1942. Admiral of the Ocean Sea. Boston: Little Brown, 2 vols. In vol. 1 Morrison describes Irving's version of the meeting at Salamanca as "pure moonshine" (p. 88).
Russell, Jeffrey Burton. 1991. Inventing the Flat Earth. New York: Praeger (Greenwood Publishing).
White, Andrew Dickson. 1896. A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom. 2 vols. Reprint, 1978. Cloucester, MA: Peter Smith.
1. Introduction. Since the Creation Satan has had an agenda to replace the Creator God as the object of Man’s worship by himself. We recall that Man was made in the image of God and needs to worship his Creator. Satan’s attack has consisted of destroying God’s revealed truth to Man (the Bible) then so corrupting Man that Satan himself may be deified as God on earth.
1. The discovery of the colored peoples by the Caucasian Christian West in the 16th century caused some to doubt that the Genesis Flood had been universal since the only family on the Ark were surely Caucasion! Later, at the time of the Industrial Revolution and during the search for coal and minerals, it was realized that rocks appeared in layers or stratum, each of different composition from those layers above and below.
A note on calendar dates. The earliest times for which we have archaeological and historical evidences are those of Babylon and its empire. The Babylonians, or an earlier civilization, noted that the Sun took 360 days to complete its cycle; this has always been known as the “solar year” but today we view this as the time taken for the Earth to orbit the Sun. The Babylonians divided this orbit, the circle, into 360 degrees, one for each day.
The Most Catastrophic Event in History. In this DVD, Mike Snavely of Mission Imperative covers key aspects of the flood by answering such questions as: Is there evidence for a global flood? Why was there a flood? What happened,...