1. Until the beginning of the eighteenth century, the western mind considered the earth to be only a few thousand years old, and this belief was based upon the Biblical account and the ensuing genealogies given into historical times. Today, the general belief is that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.
The current belief is that the age of the earth is 4.6 billion years; this figure is an essential foundation for the theory of evolution. Of course, if the age of the earth really is in billions of years, the age of the universe can be no less and reasonably would be much greater; it is currently set somewhere between 13 and 17 billion years, say, 15 billion earth-years in round figures.
Imagine you are watching a movie with a car chase scene. The driver of one car rolls out just before his automobile plunges headlong over a cliff, and the car smashes against rocks as it tumbles down, breaking into pieces and finally exploding. You can easily tell whether the film is run forward or backward.
This article first appeared in the Bible Science Newsletter, published by Creation Moments.
1. What did dinosaurs look like? The great French "father of paleontology," Georges Cuvier (1769-1832), established the method of comparative anatomy. This method depends upon knowing the relationship between living creatures and their skeletons.
Photo: Size comparison between the dinosaur "Eoraptor" and a human.
1. What did dinosaurs look like? The great French "father of paleontology," Georges Cuvier (1769-1832), established the method of comparative anatomy. This method depends upon knowing the relationship between living creatures and their skeletons. Then, by similar relationships, extinct creatures can be reasonably reconstructed from their fossil (skeletal) remains.
Photo: Tylosaurus specimen. Courtesy of Daderot. Creative Commons CCO 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.
TFE Publishing, 33 Ontario St., Suite 112, Kingston, ON. K7L 5E3
The December 1, 1986, issue of Time magazine (128:75) reported the case of prodigy Stephen Baccus who, at 17, had just become the youngest known person ever to be sworn in as a lawyer in the United States. He graduated from high school at 12 and from university at 14. Such cases are uncommon and tend to catch the attention of the popular media.
Anonymous. 1870. Eclectic Magazine (New York) 12:383.
Bousfield, W.A., and H. Barry. 1933. American Journal of Psychology 45:353.
Brackman, Arnold C. 1980. A Delicate Arrangement. New York: Times Books.
Burt, Cyril. 1965. New Scientist (London) 28:122.
Encyclopaedia Judaica. 1971. Mnemonics. 12:187.
Horowitz, William A., et al. 1965. American Journal of Psychiatry 121:1075.
Hunter, Ian M.L. 1962. British Journal of Psychology 53:243.
Juda, Adele. 1949. American Journal of Psychiatry 106:296.
Kipling, Rudyard. 1937. Something of Myself for My Friends ... . London Macmillan.
Loewi, Otto. 1953. From the Workshop of Discoveries. Lawrence, KS: U. of Kansas Press.
Schott, Emmett L. 1931. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 26:94.
Stevenson, Robert Louis. 1892. A chapter on dreams in: Across the Plains. In: The Travels
and Essays of R.L.S. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons.
Stratton, George M. 1917. Psychological Review 24:244.
Taylor, Ian T. 1984. In the Minds of Men. Toronto: TFE Publishing.
Tyrrell, George N. 1946. The Personality of Man. London, Penguin Books.
For years scientists have thought that aging was under the control of a "biological clock"-a cellular function regulating growth and programming cell death. Normal cells divide only a certain number of times before they die. But a puzzle to scientists has been that cancer cells have the peculiar ability to divide indefinitely; they are immortal.
1. "Telomerase May Be Key to Cancer and Aging, NCI Funds $2 Million, Five- Year Collaboration, " Genetic Engineering News, Sept. 15, 1995, Vol. 15, No.16, pp. 1, 13,35.
2. T represents a thymidine nucleotide, A an adenosine nucleotide and
Astronomers are looking again. It seems that they can't agree on the age of the universe, which is calculated from the Hubble constant. Last year new measurements were made using the orbiting Hubble telescope focused on the galaxy cluster in the constellation Virgo. These were to be the most accurate measurements yet.
1. "A Milestone in Fornax," Astronomy, October 1995, pp. 42-47. 2. Isaiah 55:8.
When Charles Darwin gave his theory to the world in 1859, his followers recognized that there must have been some point in Earth's early history when elemental life spontaneously appeared from non-life. Evolution without a Creator demands that this must be the case, and the process is called "abiogenesis."
In the last twenty-five years, a complete reversal of our understanding of the history of the earth has occurred. It is generally known as the geological revolution, and it has been produced mainly through the efforts of ocean scientists.
1. William J. Cromie, Exploring the Secrets of the Sea (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1962) p.3. 2. William R. Corliss, Mysteries Beneath the Sea (New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Co., 1970) p. 33. 3. Ibid., p. 58. 4. John R. Baumgardner, “Global Tectonics: A New Synthesis” in Repossess the Land, the 1979 Conference Book published by the Bible-Science Association, p. 31. 5. Ibid. 6. Henry M. Morris, The Genesis Record (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1976) pp. 260-261 7. Cromie, pp. 14-15. 8. Morris, p. 50. 9. Ibid., p. 52. 10. Ibid., p. 61. 11. A.E. Wilder-Smith, The Natural Sciences Know Nothing of Evolution (San Diego: Master Books, 1981) p. 14. 12. Ibid., pp. 14 and 34. 13. Leonard Engel, The Sea (New York: Time-Life Books, 1968) p. 9. 14. Donald England, A Christian View of Origins (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1972) p. 58. 15. Engel, pp. 10-11. 16. Ibid., p. 31, emphasis added.
Photo: Oceanographic Museum in Monaco. Courtesy of Stanimir Stoyanov. (CC-BY-SA 4.0)
To discuss this topic meaningfully, we necessarily must think in terms of a recent creation. If we are thinking in terms of five billion years of earth's history, about one or two billion years of life's history, and about one or two million years of human history, the study of the world before the flood would be more or less without meaning. One would then have to think in terms of a local flood, and the world before such a flood would be no different from the world after the flood.
By Henry M. Morris, Ph.D., Professor of Hydraulic Engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Virginia and Chairman of Creation Research Society. This talk was delivered at the Creation Seminar, Springfield, Illinois on July 8, 1968.
Just how does the modern geologist tell the age of a rock by simply looking at it? For that matter, where do all those millions of years come from and how can they be reconciled with Genesis? Until the 17th century most people of Europe and Britain believed the biblical account of creation and a global Flood.
Introduction.The study of early man is known as paleoanthropology and, although scientific techniques are used, this discipline deals with non-repeatable and non-observable events of the past and by definition cannot be considered as a science. The exercise begins by assuming that man evolved from the animal Kingdom then looking for evidence that would confirm it.
Photo: Neandertal skull. Courtesy of Luna04. Licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2.
Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Karl Marx have often been regarded as that unholy trinity who, in the 19th century, laid the foundation for today's pagan society. Darwin gave the world biological evolution in 1859. Freud later developed the notion to give us the evolution of the human psyche, while at about the same time Marx told us how society would evolve.
Engelman, E. 1972. Engelman's farewell view. CA: Intellectual Digest 2[Jan.]:74. Frazer, J.G. 1890. The Golden Bough. London: Macmillan. 2 vols. Masson, J.M. 1984. The Assault on Truth. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Semitis, I.G. 1987. Sigmund Freud.
When claims are made that certain animals known only by their fossils are "extinct," all that is really meant is that no living specimens have been found. For example, the oceans are the least explored area of this planet and undoubtedly contain many creatures that are passing into extinction without ever having been discovered. The plesiosaur may possibly be one such example.
Photo: Skeleton of Columbian mammoth. Courtesy of WolfmanSF. (CC-BY-SA 3.0)
True Stories of Faith, Science, and the Power of a Creator. Meet Christians who journeyed from skepticism to belief in a six-day creation! Scientists, scholars, ministers and others share their powerful testimonies of how they...